Saturday, May 10, 2014
Happy Mother's Day from Planet Grape!
We love flowers, we really do, but the typical mail order floral arrangement is disappointing in so many ways. Why not gift mom with something that will delight all of her senses?
Here are Planet Grape's red wine picks for Mother's Day, specially selected by Master Sommelier Catherine Fallis, aka grape goddess®
- 2012 Masut Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir Mendocino County $40
This soft, fruity and earthy Pinot Noir has notes of cherry cola, milk chocolate, dried herbs and sundried tomatoes.
- 2011 Wairau River Pinot Noir Marlborough New Zealand $14
Light cherry, wild strawberry, and vanilla notes make this a lovely aperitif wine.
- 2011 Bethel Heights Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir Eola-Amity Hills Willamette Valley $32
This zesty, smoky wine has notes of sour cherry, oolong tea and Dr. Pepper.
- 2010 Blair Estate Pinot Noir Arroyo Seco $35
Richly fruity and lavishly oaky, this is a gorgeous Central Coast selection.
- 2012 Casa Silva Carmenere Los Lingues Vineyard Colchagua Valley $16
Chile's signature grape, Carmenere, is a rising star - this dark berried beauty is luscious and soft with chocolate and violet notes as well.
- 2012 Bonny Doon Vineyard Contra Red Wine California $18
This Rhone blend is deeply fruity with notes of mulberry, cherry cobbler, white pepper, celery and bacon. Delicious and well-priced!
- 2011 Kenwood Vineyards Jack London Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mountain $30
Black fruits, sage, vanilla and mint notes evolve as the wine opens up. Enjoy with a steak or lamb chop.
© Copyright 2014 Master Sommelier Catherine Fallis, Planet Grape LLC. All Rights Reserved.