Wednesday, October 14, 2015
BORDEAUX UNDER ONE ROOF
Bordeaux and Port are the most significant benchmark wine regions of the world, both created by a thirsty U.K. market and waterways providing access to that market. While Port consumption remains steady, Bordeaux is enjoying another Golden Era, the first since Robert Parker “discovered” the stunning 1982 vintage. Over 685 million bottles of Bordeaux wines are sold annually, 58% of which is consumed in France. Of the remaining 42%, the first customer is China, followed by Germany, Belgium, U.K., U.S.A, and Japan.
Vins de Bordeaux/CIVB, in partnership with SOPEXA, is touring the U.S. market now with its Bordeaux Under One Roof presentation, including a Master Class with Tim Marson MW, and a walk around trade tasting. On October 28th I attended this event at the Golden Gate Club in San Francisco’s Presidio. Tim pointed out the while the 2014 vintage was very good if small in quantity, the 2015’s will be both very good and more widely available.
Of the wines presented in the Master Class, the highlight was a 2010 Chateau Lafleur-Gazin Pomerol $54 (review here: http://winereview.planetgrape.com/oldworldwine_reviews/2010-chateau-lafleur-gazin-pomerol) and from the walk around, the 2012 Chateau Cantermerle Haut Medoc $56 (review here: http://winereview.planetgrape.com/oldworldwine_reviews/2012-chateau-cantemerle-haut-medoc/).